Guerilla Marketing for Lawyers
About 30 years ago I began taking my own marketing concepts and found a way to increase sales, speed up cash flow and increase profit margins without advertising that translates perfectly for law practices. I niched the material specifically to lawyers because at the time they were not allowed to adversities.
Fast forward to today when they can advertise. Their number one mistake is they are spending a ton of money on just that - advertising. Whether it is TV, newspaper or radio advertising - none of this comes cheaply. Instead I have a proven system of low cost marketing that will reach potential clients en masse.
The strategies you will read in this article are free to implement and rely on Guerrilla Marketing tactics which include your energy, creativity and a little bit of time. If you are a small firm that is just starting out or even a solo practitioner or a larger firm, these strategies will work for you. I will be sharing my own proven Business Growth System ideas and tactics blended with those of Jay Conrad Levinson who I co-authored a Guerrilla Marketing book with. I am also a Certified Master Guerrilla Marketing Trainer and Coach with Jay and the author of many best selling books on marketing.
Everything you are about to read has been used by my clients with great success so get ready to stop spending money on "traditional" advertising that takes your money and doesn't produce a lot of results and start increasing your sales, cash flow and profit margins.
What does work if traditional advertising doesn't, you make ask? The internet. While many lawyers have a website our research shows that their website is an online business card and nothing more. Yet when they come to us they can't understand why this business card website isn't helping them. They will tell us, "we have a site but we have never gotten a lead from it".
Sound familiar? If so, you like the other lawyers we have spent time with are missing the boat. Here are some statistics you should know...
Just for these terms alone there have been:
550,000 searches for "personal injury law firm"
301,000 searches for "injury lawyers"
135,000 searches for "medical malpractice attorney"
368,000 searches for "drunk driving attorney"
So you might be wondering, then why aren't they coming to my website and why don't I get any leads from these searches? Good question! Let me help you so that you can change your situation.
It's important to know that there is only one search engine to concern yourself with and that is Google. Google gets 65.4% of all searches. Your goal is to be on the first page of Google so when people are looking for a lawyer of your type in your geographic area you come up first.
As you probably know by using Google yourself, there are only 10 results or websites that Google presents on
its first page for any search. Above the sites and to the right of those sites are paid ads, which are
called Google "Adwords" meaning they are paid advertising. The 10 others are non-paid search results that are
called organic results since they're not paid ads.
Getting on page one of Google when people type in your law firm's key words is by far the most
critical internet marketing that your law practice can do because most of your potential clients won't go beyond page one.
According to the American Bar Association, there are now over 1,143,358 licensed attorneys in the
US. Most successful law practices have more than one website so it is getting harder to claim important key words.
Think of this as buying important real estate. For example if you are a personal injury lawyer and want to own the domain personalinjurylawyer you are too late. However, you are not too late if you follow the strategy I am going to teach you here and in fact will be ahead of what your competitors know and will grow your business using the internet without spending money on Adwords indwell end up over time being in Google's top 10 right there on page 1 organically!
So let's get you there.
It's time to pick your key words. Key words are what you believe potential clients are going to type into Google's search when they look for your law practice. Let's say you are a personal injury lawyer in Philadelphia. Then you will want to have the key words "personal injury lawyer philadelphia" as your websites keywords. If you are a disability lawyer in Vermont you will select key words "disability lawyer vermont" as your site's keywords.
The next thing I want you to do is go to Google and actually do a search for the key words you just came up with. For example, go search for "personal injury lawyer philadelphia". I just did it and found that the total number of results is 1,360,000 . I also went and searched our other term "disability lawyer vermont" and found the total number of results is 1,690,000. What these numbers tell us is that to get to page one your website has to climb over all these sites to get to page one. Now don't get scared and think that's just way too many sites!
I bet some of you are even thinking, why don't I just use my own name like "Frank's Law" or like the TV show "Harry's Law", and brand my name. Wouldn't that be easier than trying to climb over all these other sites? Unless your business has so much branding like Coke or Disney that people are talking about you everywhere and asking for your practice by name everywhere (in which case you wouldn't even be reading this article), that is a really bad strategy. Let your competitors use that one!
People don't search this way. People search by keywords.
Now, take what I just taught you that literally cost you nothing and let's combine it with a few of my other tactics that will begin to help you rise right to page 1 quickly.
1. Get a domain name that has your search terms. Just like we did above "personal injury attorney detroit". If you already have a site under your law firms name then go grab another domain (they cost almost nothing) and put it up. In fact if you are close to several cities grab every domain you can and if you do several types of law grab them all. Cozy up with Go Daddy and grab a bunch of these. They are like real estate. Get them now before they are sold and gone - you will be kicking yourself later.
2. Keywords need to be about 4-5 words in length and should match your geographic area as well as the type of law you do/clients you service. If you don't know how to add them to your website's source code then ask your web developer to do this for you.
3. Write a lot of articles, press releases and posts that all have links to your site. I use PRWeb and
PRNewswire for online press releases and then these press releases get "picked up" by Google and other search engine news feeds. These process is called creating "back links" and this will improve your Google page rank.
4. Make sure your website has a blog and then update it at least once per week. Just a quick 10 minutes is all you need to spend on this. Be sure your content interesting and related to what your potential clients would want to know. Remember the more people who visit your site (called web traffic) is another way to get your site on that first page of Google.
5. Set up a free YouTube Channel and post a few videos of yourself and your partners. Each video can be anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes of short informative information that your potential clients would want to know. Post the videos on your website as well. Videos also bring visitors to your site.
Your goal is just to get people to your site. We only need them to come. Statistics say that the average visitor only stays on a website for under 6.4 seconds. This means your site only has a few seconds to impress the folks who come. Be sure your site looks professional. If you don't look like a lawyer who can solve their problems they will be gone.
Your site must offer them a free evaluation so that they aren't scared off thinking you will charge them for just contacting you. They need to see how to contact you and this is the whole purpose of having your website: a way to impress then in under 6.4 seconds, a free case evaluation and a way to contact you.
Most lawyers websites are boring. They come across dry and they look like the lawyer didn't care enough to have the site designed professionally. If you want to handle big cases and get paid big bucks then have a site that represents the right image. Make your site easy to navigate so within 6.4 seconds people can find your free give away, your contact information and get the right impression of your practice.
Be sure your content is written without jargon. If you follow this outline you will quickly impress the potential clients who visit:
1. The home page should open with a personal video where you welcome them and tell them about yourself, your qualifications and why they should hire you or at least have a free consult.
2. If you have many lawyers in your practice be sure there is a page with a personal profile on each that is easy to find. Include special awards or affiliations.
3. Include a testimonial page with real clients raving about your firm.
4. Have a way for people get their free case evaluation by filling out a very quick and simple form. Don't make them answer many questions. Name and phone number is plenty.
5. List all of your law firms areas of practice.
6. Be certain no jargon has been used and all text is clear and simple to read.
7. Use any free blog on your site. I use Wordpress. Every week spend 10 minutes giving useful information your potential clients would want to read.
This article should have shifted your mindset about keeping up with technology as one strategy to increase sales, speed up cash flow and increase profit margins without spending money on traditional advertising.
By the way, here's my free offer:)
If you want to learn more ways
By the way, here's our free offer: If you want the 5 ways to increase your bottom line profits without spending an extra dime we'll send you this free business report that reveals how you can add $10,000 to $1 million a year to your bottom line by understanding five simple principles that most lawyers don't!
This 31 page free report will teach you how to uncover your hidden marketing assets, how to set yourself apart and beat your competitors- hands down, how to leverage for overnight increases and cash windfalls, how to get exponential growth, and how to systemize your law practice for more money and fewer hassles.
No strings attached just call now 888-776-1124 ext 2.
Remember, the only thing that distinguishes successful law practices from their competitors
is knowing proven marketing strategies.