Major Crisis don't just happen!
When a business finds itself embroiled in a major crisis and out of control, hindsight usually reveals a series of events leading up to the crisis. Whatever the underlying cause, a catastrophic environment accident, a series of product defects, a major strategic mistake, a non-calculated marketing error, or something else, major crisis don't just happen.
Most crisis are the result of multiple mistakes, not just one. Chains of mistakes often cause major operational or strategic missteps in business. Some businesses, rather than seek assistance or professional help take the position of denial that the problem actually exists or ignore complaints which reflect negatively upon the company. Allowing these mistakes to continue on for any period of time usually ends up costing the company loss of income, marketshare as well as a loss in reputation.
Some businesses are able to avoid such missteps. Missteps can be avoided if certain procedures are put into place which are adhered to in the company policies and procedures and followed by management.
1. Create a system to detect patterns of mistakes early and trust the data to be
2. Communicate and seek advice throughout the company and from professional consultants
3. Don't under-estimate the potential damage or mistakes.
4. Consider the unthinkable and predict the unexpected.
5. Protect the relationship with customers or clients at all costs.
6. Mistakes are not passive; mistakes or a bad situation will not go away on its own.
You have to make them go away.
Every business makes mistakes, but successful ones make fewer of them, discover them early and fix the problem faster and more agressively than other businesses.