There are always options ...
If you have ever been caught in a situation where it seems like there are no options the reality is that there are always options!
Sometimes people come to a point in their lives where they feel that because of life circumstances and commitment to others, they have no option but to remain in very stressful and insecure circumstances. This is understandable especially when so much is riding on our ability to generate income for our families or so much has been invested into work relationships and career paths.
But the reality is that there is never an absolute "no other way out" scenario. Options always exist. Sometimes we can get so caught up in the situation we are in that the creativity to think of other options is crowded out by the concern for the place we are stuck in. To generate the possibility of more options in a context where we feel like there are no options at all is to take a coaching approach that allows for the opportunity to think beyond one's circumstance.
If you find yourself in such a situation, the following questions can unlock options that you haven't thought of yet:
- Who do you need to talk to in order to explore your options? [this question helps the client realize that there are people in their life that can help them]
- ¨ What do you really want to be doing with your life? [this question causes the client to realize that even if their situation was good they are still not where they want to be]
- ¨ If your income was guaranteed for the next five years while you pursued where you'd like to be, what would your career path look like? [this question takes the fear of losing income from the client's thought process so that they can see possibilities]
- ¨ What does your ideal lifestyle look like? [this question causes the client to look beyond simply their work life to what really matters]
- ¨ What kind of career/work do you need to help support that lifestyle? [this question allows the client to realize what work they need to actually have the life they want]
- ¨ What steps can you take to get to where you want to be? [people need to move toward their goals in increments - this question gets them started down that path toward where they want to be]
Have a question for Luciano or want to leave a comment? Click here.