Inspire, Lead, and Succeed with ACCOUNTABILITY - A Hidden Myth?
What do you think? Did accountability lose its
power? Would you agree that this is one of the things that is lacking most in
today’s business world?
What I see in my work, day in and day out with different manufacturing companies is that people are not too big on commitment but as I always like to say, there is a reason for everything. If you want to have committed people, you have to earn their trust and their buy in first. Without trust and commitment there is no accountability.
Isn’t it true that is much easier for most managers to hold people accountable to results than behaviours? Talking about behaviours takes a lot of energy and extra effort and most managers are not willing to deal with it. However, it is important not to overlook that behaviours are almost always linked to the desired results.
So what are some things that you can do?
1. Set standards and rules together with your team and agree to live by them
2. Be accountable to yourself first and lead by example
3. EVERYBODY has to play by the same rules, especially you as a leader. There is no exception.
4. Acknowledge the behaviour you want to see.
5. Get permission to hold each other accountable
6. Be willing to call people on their behaviours but at the same token be also willing to be called on your own behaviours
7. Remind yourself constantly that you want to surround yourself with people who will demand the very best of you to help you to become the best you can be and…. You do the same for them!
Always remember, excellence is not a skill. It’s an attitude. The right attitude will lead to different behaviour and the desired behaviour will bring you incredible results.