Home-based Business: Aromatherapy Candles
Aromatherapy has another approach-using candles. Since candle-making is a lucrative home-based business, and many people recognize the significance of aromatherapy in our psychological and physical well-being, making aromatherapy candles is sure to hit the market. If you have already made candle-making as your niche, you may find it easier to make aromatherapy candles as you already have the basic knowledge on making candles.
However, if it is your first time to make candles, aromatherapy is a good start as you would use support for your candles. You just have to know the basic safety measures in handling the materials especially the melted wax. The internet is a good source of such information. There are also books and newsletters to read. So, to get started, we will use the following materials:
1. Wax. The most common wax used in making candles is paraffin. Even those who have been making candles for their home-based business for quite some time use it because it is cheaper and has a neutral color. However, since you will be making aromatherapy candles, it is best and wise to use natural wax.
Paraffin wax emits 13 types of chemicals which can harm your respiratory system; while natural waxes do not. Three types of natural wax are soy, beeswax and bayberry. Soy wax is extracted from soybean, while beeswax is taken from a beehive. Bayberry is derived from the fruit of bayberry.
2. Wick. You can pre-tab your wick. Choose 36-24-24 zinc core ideal for jar candles or votive candles. Your wick should be naturally cotton.
3. Jars. Aromatherapy candles are best placed in a jar or container with its own cover.
4. Essential oils. Aromatherapy needs aroma from plant extracts. Instead of using regular fragrance oil in making candles, you will use essential oil. Aromatherapy candles are essentially about essential oil that your clients will smell while burning the candles.
Examples of essential oils used in aromatherapy candles are rose oil, lavender oil, eucalyptus oil, lemon oil, peppermint oil, grapefruit, ylang ylang oil, rosemary oil, and chamomile oil. You can also check out books and other resources for more varieties of essential oils applicable for making candles. The more varied your essential oils are, the more chances of having good sales for your home-based business.
5. Coloring substance. Dyes are better choice for aromatherapy candles because they also burn with the candles. For aromatherapy, choose the dyes made from natural ingredients, otherwise, you would defeat the purpose of aromatherapy. You can make a difference with your home-based business by using only natural ingredients for aromatherapy.
6. Thermometer. Use candy thermometer to monitor the temperature of your melting wax.
7. Heat stove. You can use LPG gas stove, electric gas stove or any device that uses coal or firewood as the source of flame.
8. Melting Pot. Melting pot is needed to melt your wax.
9. Wick holder. To ensure that the wick and its tab stay centered and upright, you may need to use a wick holder or straw for each jar.
These are all it to make aromatherapy candles. The materials are not difficult to obtain because there is a good supply for each of them, particularly the essential oils and wax. Aromatherapy candles are a good way to uplift a gloomy mood. This is why, many business-people choose candle-making as their niche for home-based business.
Have a question for Charles or want to leave a comment? Click here.