Traffic Can Be Hard To Come By
The biggest question site owners are asking these days is "how do I get traffic?" It is definitely much harder with the growth spurt of the Internet, however it's notimpossible!
There are TONS of ways to build up your traffic. Here are some of the most common methods.
1. Learn Search Engine Optimization - this is probably the most importantway that you want to get traffic and probably the hardest too. Search engine traffic is highly targetted traffic of people who are searching the web for a specific item. If theyget to your site after searching for it, you're almost guaranteed a sale or at least a "bookmark for later". lot of ebooks on the subject
2. Trade links with other sites - It'simportant to get your site name out there.
So trade links with several other sites, even your competitors! People really do look at those links pages and they will find theirway to your site from another site.
3. Post on message boards - When you post on highly trafficked message boards, BE SURE to put your site link in your signature! This is ahighly effective form of marketing, especially if the message board you are posting at is relative to your site content.
4. Use email signatures - Make it easy for yourcustomers to contact you! When they write to you and ask for more information, be sure that you are using a signature with your site URL and name inside of it. That way if theywant to retrieve it later, it's easier for them than having to memorize your URL and open a web browser.
5. Join Yahoo Groups - This is pretty much the same as message boards.Join groups that pertain to your site's content and advertise (but don't spam!!) your site there.
6. Post on free classifieds sites - Sites like Craig's List or other freeadvertising classifieds sites will accept your site for free! Just do a Google search for "free classifieds" and you'll see a ton of sites come up where you can promote yoursite!
7. Buy ad space - If your monthly budget allows, you can buy some ad space for your site. Find another site that pertains to your site's content and ask them what theiradvertising prices are.
8. Hold auctions - Ebay gets TONS of traffic a day, while you're not allowed to post your site URL within your auction listings, you are allowed to putit in your "about me" page. So think about listing some of your products as auctions and advertise your URL.
9. Offline advertising - Get custom t-shirts, bumper stickers, cardecals, etc made for your site URL. Then whenever you are out in public, you are passively advertising yourself!
10. Submit your site to directories - If your site is a siteabout "fishing" for
instance, do a Google search for "fishing directories" and see how many directories are out there that pertain to your subject matter. Most of thesedirectories will allow free submissions.
11. Write articles - Writing articles that pertain to your site is another excellent way to get your site out there. Just write a short,informative article of 5-6 paragraphs and submit it to any site that accepts article submissions and make sure that your article includes a link back to your site in your"author biography".
12. Submit press releases - Even if your site is a small work from home site
(i.e. "Susie's Candles") it IS newsworthy! Let's say your candle site released anew candle called "Vanilla Cream". Submit a press release about it. Or you can do a Google search for "submitpress release" and a zillion other sites will come up.
13. Have great interactive content - People will bookmark your site if you have interactive and dynamic content. Havepolls, message boards, interactive games, news items, guest books, item of the day....whatever! Just make the site relevant and have good SUBSTANCE in your site content. Don'toverload it with silly animated graphics, sounds, etc. That just makes it look like you had nothing else to fill your site up with but this annoying stuff. And Flash intros areonly good if you are twoyears old and need to see flashing lights and colors. Most of all they are slow loading, and people generally click away if they see Flash.