Poltical Savvy and Employees
Also called political intelligence, political ability, political astuteness, political acumen - political savvy is the totality of skills for successfully navigating the political dynamics of an organization to accomplish one's career goals. Think of political savvy as strategies used to build and maintain a competitive advantage - the ability to control people or resources, or to get others to do things you want done.
So what can you do? The following are suggestions that people in all job levels can use to gain a competitive edge or just to survive the politics of others.
1. Check out the chemistry between you and your supervisor
2. Understand and support your supervisor - look at the organization through the eyes of your boss
3. Avoid upstaging your supervisor
4. Reward your supervisor - use please and thank you
5. Shine at Meetings
- Appear articulate, poised and successful
- Ask set-up questions
- Allow others to talk
- Take notes when influential people speak
- Avoid daydreaming
7. Appear cool under pressure
8. Show an interest in your organization and its mission
9. Display business manners and etiquette
- Respect people's senses
- Show class at lunch and meals
- Avoid smoking on the job unless you work for a tobacco company
- Remember names
- Make appointments to talk with high-ranking people (never try to just drop in)
- Be diplomatic
Pick and choose from the political strategies presented. Decide which tactics are best suited to your skills, position, style andtheculture of your organization. You have nothing to lose but plenty to gain.
Moe to come