Introduction to ISO 50001 Energy Management System
Energy loss is inevitable in industrial and so the high level of energy consumption. The nature plays the role to the scavenger to nullify the impacts of the significant use of energy. However, ever-increasing industrialization has been contributing high level of energy consumption much beyond the assimilation capacity of the nature resulting in the scarcity of energy in long run. Evidently, industry and power consumption are complementary to each other. The industries are required to grow to satisfy the need of the society but at the same time they need to do all this in an acceptable manner.
Of late, industries have been reactive towards energy management system. Now it is an establish fact that this concept alone could not yield the desired objectives viz. reduction in energy loss. In this scenario, the concept of energy saving and energy efficiency through reduction in energy loss is taking shape. Energy saving is also known as resource conservation or waste minimization or cleaner production combined with the energy management system has been successful in achieving the objectives of cost saving and reduction in energy consumption. However, mostly, it has been sporadic achievement only as it could not be sustained.
ISO 50001 - Energy Management System (EnMS)
Energy Management System (EnMS) as per ISO 50001 refers to a system used by an Organisation to manage its activities, product or services in such a way to minimize or eliminate the significant energy use. More explicitly, the ISO 50001 EnMS is that part of the overall management system viz. organizational structure, planning activities, responsibilities, practices, procedures, processes and resources which is necessary for developing, implementing, reviewing and maintaining the organisation’s Energy policy and objectives and establish energy performance indicators.
Evidently, Energy Management System is not a Hi- Tech mechanism to address Energy issues of an organisation. Basically EnMS is a management system consisting of three components namely:
- Design or development of elements of ENMS
- Documentation and
The need of ISO 50001 EnMS Standard
With the growing Energy awareness, compulsions and competition, it is becoming imperative for all manufacturing and process industry to establish the energy management system and establish efficiency and concentrate on significant energy use area to reduce cost.
Why Industry is not Energy Efficient?
- The business of industry is not energy efficiency
- Data on energy use of systems is very limited
- Difficult to assess performance or evaluate performance improvements
- Opportunities for more energy efficiency are overlooked
- Budgets are separate for equipment purchases and operating costs
- Facility engineers typically do not become CEO or CFOs
Energy Management System (EnMS) ISO 50001 certification is one such opportunity that can enable the companies acquires the label of Energy sound enterprises and improves their economic performance at the same time.
Why implement Energy Management System?
- Provides a method for integrating energy efficiency into existing industrial management systems for continual improvement;
- All existing and planned energy management standards are compatible with ISO 9001/14001
- A to reduce energy use and improve operations, even if they are already complying with ISO 14001.
- Applicable to commercial, institutional, and transportation sectors