Leading from Authenticity is a Beautiful Thing
"Each of us is something of a schizophrenic personality, tragically divided against ourselves."-Martin Luther King, Jr.
The past holds us back when we use the same tools and skills that got us to where we are. If we keep doing what we have been doing, even though relationships and events may change, we get the same results with an only slightly new picture, still encased in the old frame.
Creating a future from new possibilities means to awaken the sleeping giant within. You aren't meant to stagnate in a state of powerlessness. Circumstances, whether good or bad, sad or happy, are what they are -- circumstances. They are powerless unless you give them the power to hold you captive as their helpless victim.
Don't Let Circumstances Rule
Unproductive thoughts about circumstances have a slippery way of pulling you under their spell. They convince you to keep doing what you are doing without regard of changes happening all around you. When an unfortunate situation arises that changes your career, you can either swim upstream trying to fix things using old tools, or learn to swim with the flow of the river by tapping into your inner wisdom. Being in the flow is being in the presence of Universal support and connecting to it.
Transitions are golden opportunities to get in touch with your call to take lead from where you are to where you are destined to be. It is a time to look deeper within rather than looking for solutions elsewhere. By asking bolder questions you will find bolder answers. You know the ones I mean, the kind that you are afraid to ask of yourself because they force you to look beyond where you have looked before. These are the questions that compel you to take responsibility and not blame circumstances. Scary, yes - but the good news is they are your leadership track to your authentic self.
Willingness, not willpower, is the doorway to step through when growing in self-awareness towards leadership. It is a softer yet stronger approach to learning to lead from self and leading others to lead themselves. It is being proactive rather than being involuntarily sweep away by circumstances. You get to choose and anything is possible.
Leading from authenticity is a beautiful thing. It is you being true to yourself and the world.
"This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man." - Hamlet, Shakespeare
Bold Questions to Look Deeper at Your Leadership Destiny:
1. If you could remove all factors of limitation and you were guaranteed to succeed, what is the one thing you would pick to do that would significantly change your life?
2. Why would you want to do this one thing?
3. Why is it so important to you?
4. What if, at the end of your life, you hadn't pursued this one thing? How would you feel?
5. What difference would it make to you?
6. What difference would it make to the world?
7. What are your excuses for not taking proactive steps in living your vision?
8. Are you managing your life from circumstances rather than leading from your authenticity?
Tips for answering the "bold" questions
1. Maybe you forgot your dreams from when you were a youngster. It is easy to get caught up in a culture of agreements promoting careers with titles that make the most money. Think about when you were a youngster pretending to be a police officer, or a nurse, or maybe a movie star. What did it feel like to make believe you were doing what you wanted?
2. Then you grew up surrounded with adults from whom you developed a variety of beliefs and behaviors on how to live life. Today are you living from those learned behaviors and beliefs or are you creating a future with a vision of your own to live into?
3. Look at the "why" and the importance it means to you. The "why" helps make a decision and brings clarity. It often awakens new ideas and dreams. When you lead from your heart it has a synergistic effect not only in your circle of influence, but in the world. Everything is energy. Your thoughts and actions are energy. Keep drilling down to the ultimate "why."
4. One of the best ways to discover if you are headed in the right direction is to tune into your feelings. As you visualize proceeding in a desired direction, do you feel excited and enthused? You may feel fearful, but it is normal to get queasy when taking on something new that is out of your paradigm. However, there is nothing written that says you can't at least take small steps to investigate if this is something you "yearn to do" versus something that you believe you "should do".
5. Right now there are countless dramatic changes happening in the world causing people to reinvent their lives. Out of adversity often comes greatness, especially if one seizes the opportunity rather than succumb to being a victim. Desired change may not happen overnight, but it has to start somewhere. In your life, you are the someone, the only one, to lead the way to making a positive global shift. You count!
6. You are the leader of your life, not circumstances. After all "anything is possible" and you are the creator of possibilities.
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate."-Carl Jung