performance.

Performance coaching in the workplace

To create lasting performance change it is necessary to first understand the positive and negative influence that a person's personal behaviors has on their execution and what impact these have on their ability to achieve success. Only when we fully understand a person's behavioral patterns and create positive self-managing coaching strategies can we assist a person to create lasting performance change.

The vast majority of employers believe coaching can deliver significant benefits to both individuals and organizations. The majority of employers plan to increase the use of coaching over the next few years, according to a new survey by the Institute of Personnel and Development. Nearly nine out of ten interviewed companies expect their managers and supervisors to deliver performance coaching as part of their day-to-day work.

In another large industry-wide study it was found that most managers reported that they were confident in their ability to coach. However, the study also showed that the managers' actual skills levels as coaches were typically poor. As a consequence they were not nearly as effective in their coaching as they believe themselves to be. Often times, they believed that coaching consisted of just providing 1-to-1 instructional feedback to their staff members on what to do in a given situation to perform better.

Many recent studies have shown that technical skills only represent at best 20% of the contribution into our performance. The remaining 80% comes from our ability to choose or make a decision, assertiveness, commitment to grow, ability to concentrate, honesty, optimism, persistence, ability to perform well under stress and so on. These traits are commonly called our soft skills or attitude. Few managers understand just how deeply rooted their own behavior patterns are, let alone how to positively change them in other people.

Performance coaching is frequently confused with other types of coaching, such as Executive coaching and Life coaching. Performance coaching is a form of Directive coaching. Executive coaching and Life coaching are both forms of Non-directive coaching. Directive coaching is usually more suitable for a manager who sometimes acts as a coach.

Performance coaching in the workplace has developed immensely from what it was only 4 years ago. To choose the right coach will make a huge difference. You also better make sure to know what you want. If your coach knows what (s)he is doing - you will get on your way to get it!

Author:.

Peter J Karlsson is driven by developing managers and employees to reach their full potential. Thirty years working with personal development and coaching gives him rare experience and hands-on knowledge on performance coaching.

His major experiences include:
* Co-Founder and Executive Director at CONCHIUS. Peter has been living and operating from China since 2004. Four years of hands on research on specific challenges and how to over come these for managers working in MNC...

Go Deeper | Website

Have a question for Peter J?

* Required information
Name:
Email Address:
(never displayed)

Your question or comment:
Human? What is the fifth month of the year?
 
Enter answer:
 
Tell me when Peter J responds to me.
 
Remember my form inputs on this computer.
 
 
 
New Graphic
Subscriber Counter