1. Fuzzy Vision: people don't know where the organization is going and what it is trying to achieve in the future.
2. Lack of Leadership Skills: fear of change; leaders
lack entrepreneurial spirit; leadership style on the part of management
is either too directive or too hands-off; managers do not lead, they
just administrate and micromanage; weak leadership development program.
3. Discouraging Culture: no shared values;
lack of trust: blame culture; focus on problems, not opportunities;
people don't have fun at work; diversity not celebrated; failures not
tolerated; people lose confidence in their leaders and systems.
4. High Bureaucracy: bureaucratic organizational
structures with too many layers; high boundaries between management
layers; slow decision making;: too close monitoring of things and
subordinates; too many tools and documents discouraging creative
thinking; bureaucracy is tolerated.
5. Lack of Initiative: poor motivation
encouragement; people do not feel their contributions make a
difference; management fails to engage the organization effectively;
people work defensively and not creatively, they do their job, and
6. Poor Vertical Communication: people have no clue
of the big picture and do not feel that their contributions are
important; too much uncertainty; people don't know what top-managers
are thinking and planning.
7. Poor Cross-functional Collaboration: functional
mindset; lack of cross-functional goals and cross-functional
collaboration spirit; functional, no enterprise-wide business process
management; no cross-functional management committees; lack of or
powerless cross-functional teams.
8. Poor Teamwork: no organizational commitment
to team culture; lack of shared and worthwhile goals; weak team
leaders; team members who don't want to play as part of a team are
tolerated; teams are too large; lack of shared rewards.
9. Poor Idea and Knowledge Management: cross-pollination
of ideas is not facilitated; no creativity, idea and knowledge
management strategies and systems; "know-it-all" attitude; "not
invented here" syndrome.