How to market your business with Twitter
Twitter is a great tool for executing your online marketing strategies. How effective Twitter is for your online marketing initiatives depends on what you aim to use it for and the results you expect to get from using it. One of Twitter's strengths is that it provides you with all the tools you need to build up an army of followers, or even several armies of followers if you really set your mind to it. You can then start meaningful conversations with your followers and nurture relationships with them. Later on you can exploit these relationships to sell your products and services.
Here are a few techniques you can add to your Twitter marketing strategies so you can get more people to follow you on Twitter.
1. First, follow everyone else. Seek out interesting people by going through as many user profiles as you can. Then follow each one. This is a pure numbers game: the more people you follow, the higher the number of followers you will generate when they follow you back. For example, if you follow a thousand cool people, chances are half of them will follow you right back. That's 500 free and instant followers you can get simply by trying this out.
2. Go heavy on the "RT." Retweeting as many messages as you can from your friends makes them happy, and if any of your followers find the information you retweeted interesting, they'll be pleased you shared the information and they'll thank you for that.
3. Tweet about anything and everything. No one wants to follow a dormant account, and you certainly won't be able to get your marketing strategies off the ground if you don't use Twitter to your advantage. This technique is particularly effective when you happen across something interesting that begins to unfold in front of you. Then Twitter becomes a platform for delivering as-it-happens accounts of interesting events. If you're at a trade show, for example, think of how many people will benefit when you share what you're experiencing first-hand.
4. Twitter has a feature that lets you automatically send a message directly to your new follower. Take advantage of this feature to welcome people into your community. But more importantly, use it as part of your marketing strategies to push your brand out to the prospects by providing basic information and links back to your web resources.
5. Link to your other social networking accounts. When you create your user profile on Twitter, it allows you to post links to other sites. Link back to your other social media accounts and let the power of social networking gain momentum and do its magic.
6. Ask and you shall receive; so go ahead and ask all your friends to follow you on Twitter. Of all the marketing strategies on Twitter this is the simplest and most straightforward. It's also a game of numbers: if you have 500 friends and you've been really nice to them, chances are you'll end up with 300 - 400 new followers.
7. One final addition to your Twitter marketing strategies: use all 140 characters. Unless being terse serves some particular purpose, it would be best to provide your followers with as much information as possible.