Speak for Leads
I love to write - creatively as well as for business. So last year I decided to take a course at a nearby college to learn how to hone this skill. I learned a very valuable lesson that REALLY should be the GOLDEN RULE for your marketing.
It's always better to SHOW your audience than TELL them.
Speaking is a great way to do this, especially for those of you in service based businesses. Here are just a few of the key advantages of integrating this into your marketing:
- You have the opportunity to educate your target market in your area of expertise
- By demonstrating your expertise, you increase trust and credibility with attendees
- The content you create can be used in multiple other ways - articles, audio CD, teleseminar, webinar, report or book.
- You get to hone your public speaking skills and may find that you can even get paid to speak!
- Most importantly, you have the opportunity to attract more prospects to you and your business
- You are not presenting your subject in an appealing way or with a catchy title -Create at least 3 various topics to present. This allows the organizer to choose the one that is most appropriate for them. Research various topics that other speakers in your area of expertise use to give you inspiration in catchy titles and content.
- You are not attracting the RIGHT type of speaking engagements - Look for speaking engagements that have your qualified prospects in the audience. Don't be afraid to ask about the audience or expected numbers. There is nothing worse than doing hours of preparation only to find a handful of people in the room when you are expecting 50!
- You are giving too little or too much away in your talk - you should be looking to explain why your topic is important to the attendee and what the key areas are they need to address. You are giving away too much if you start explaining HOW they address each area.
- You have no mechanisms in place to capture leads AFTER your talk - This is probably one of the biggest mistakes many speakers make. If you walk away after a talk HOPING that people will contact you, you are losing valuable control in your marketing system. Think of ways that you can contact them. Perhaps you can offer to send them the PowerPoint slides for your presentation or a special Trial of your product or services. By having a lead capture system in place you will be able to measure your results and implement a strong follow up campaign to move prospects closer to a sale.
Set your goals, hone your follow up campaign and follow through.