7 Tips for Blogging Newbies
As a new blogger, it’s important to look at where you eventually want to end up before you begin. As Stephen Covey suggests, highly effective people (and, in my opinion, highly effective small businesses owners) begin with the end in mind.
If you truly think about what you want to eventually accomplish through your blogging efforts, you’ll soon be rewarded with a loyal audience who connects with you and repays you with an abundance of links and comments.
Here are 7 tips to help your small business blog succeed:
1) Become your reader. Determine what your reader wants to read as opposed to what you think that they want to read. If you’re in doubt, ask them through a poll or survey.
2) Learn, learn, and learn. Since successful blogs are all about educating their audiences, you need to keep educating yourself. Keep up on reading, attending workshops and, of course, reading blogs in your own industry.
3) Give away your knowledge. Don’t be stingy with your knowledge, tips and advice; there’s no reason to keep your ideas under lock and key. Successful bloggers give away everything that they know.
4) Research. Read what other bloggers in your industry are writing about, check out your competition and stay current in your field. In the ultra-competitive world of small business, you can never, ever rest on your laurels.
5) Get organized. Create a blogging calendar guides you as you plan out upcoming posts and topics; put together a list of possible blogging topics; develop a blogging schedule that works for you. Then stick to your calendar no matter what.
6) Offer up guest posts. Once you’re on a roll, you should begin researching blogs in your particular industry that accept guest blog posts. Then, get to know the bloggers, interact with them on their blog and eventually offer to write a guest post for them.
7) Create massive exposure. Make sure to spread the word about your blog in as many places as possible: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, articles, press releases, videos, podcasts, speaking, etc.
Decide exactly what you want to accomplish through your small business blog, and then apply the above tips. Remember, blogging isn’t an overnight marketing strategy; it takes time to grow a loyal audience.
But, if you hang in there and don’t give up, your efforts will be rewarded through more traffic, better leads and, eventually, more sales for your small business.