Manage PR and Media with a Specialist
Manage PR and Media with a Specialist Fundamentally, the Media Specialist is responsible for media strategy and relations. Most Marketing Directors do not have the time to deal with journalists, create and place online/offline advertisements, or track and measure the results of campaigns. Use Demand Metric's downloadable Media Specialist job descriptionto formalize the role of media relations in your organization, and get a handle on this function.
Key Media Specialist Responsibilities:
- Develop Media Strategy- by analyzing various media channels and determining the right mix for your organization's product/services, the Media Specialist is responsible for creating a comprehensive strategic media plan.
- Manage Media Budget- provide accountability for media spending including public relations campaigns, advertising, or other budget items.
- Measure Results- determine how each campaign will be measured and track and report on results to senior management and/or steering committee.
- Public Relations- select appropriate tools and systems for effective press release submission, distribution, and coverage by industry journalists.
- Maintain Knowledge- of current media trends, developments, best practices, tools, and procedures for implementing multi-channel campaigns.
- Market Targeting & Segmentation- analyze current customer base and potential market segments to create tailored communications.
- Determine your Needs- not all organizations require a formal Media Specialist function. If you have requirements in the areas of public relations, media planning & strategy, metrics & benchmarks, and reporting, there is a good chance that you would benefit from this function.
- Formalize the Job Description- use Demand Metric's customizable Media Specialist job description to outline what you are looking for in a candidate, and the requirements of the position.
- Interview Candidates- you may wish to hire internally for this role, as deep knowledge of company processes, strategy, and methods are essential for success in this position. Complete a fair, open, hiring process, and select the candidate who is best for the job. Important attributes include established industry media contacts and excellent communication skills.
- Set Goals & Objectives- once you have selected your Media Specialist, complete an initial meeting to set and document the goals & objectives for this year. Be sure to discuss how efforts will be measured upon performance review.
If you are serious about improving your media strategy & relations, you need an experience Media Specialist. Assess your requirements, and if necessary, hire an experienced Media Specialist who can optimize this process.