9 Keys to an Effective Logo
The right logo, with the right characteristics, will boost your visibility, credibility and memorablity – which means more business for you!
These characteristics include:
- Consistency in use of your logo, tagline, materials. Repetition of similar elements, used in the same or similar ways, helps people to remember who you are and what you do.
- Memorability, so that your logo stays at the forefront of your potential clients' minds. That way, they'll think of you next time they have a need.
- Meaningfulness, so that your logo can spread the message about the distinguishing characteristics of your business.
- Uniqueness, which helps you stand out from the crowd. For example, if everyone in your industry uses a particular symbol (i.e., travel agencies often use globes in their logos), try to use something else – that way, your logo doesn't just look like everyone else's.
- Professionalism, in the quality of the graphics, the printing and the paper on which your materials are printed.
- Timelessness in your logo will ensure that you don't have to redesign your logo in just a few years and that your investment and equity in your design will be lasting.
- Contrast between the colors in your logo – and not just in terms of hue, but in terms of value as well, so that it translates well either to black and white or greyscale and colorblind people are able to see it.
- Unity among the different elements in the logo. The logo must fit together as a single unit, and not just appear as a jumble of elements pasted together.
- Scalability, so that your logo looks equally good on both a business card and on a sign for your business (or a billboard!), and at every size in between. Your business's name should be legible at different logo sizes – be sure that your designer chooses a font that is easily readable.
Having a professionally designed logo can really give your business a jumpstart and helps your business get the attention – and clients – you need to succeed.