Lessons on Friendship
You can learn a lot about friendship from watching the television showThe Golden Girls. The long-running sitcom about four housemates in Miami touched the hearts of many viewers. Amidst the laughter, the show offers important lessons about friendship for men and women of all ages.
Universal Lessons About Friendship:
- Thank your friends. Like the theme song says, sometimes you want to thank someone just for being a friend. Celebrate your friends’ achievements, and remember to let them know that their presence alone enriches your life.
- Pals and confidants can help you get through rough times. The girls faced a lot of tough issues over the years, from heartbreaks to hospitalizations. Talking things over with friends who care can help you face major challenges.
- Focus on quality over quantity. A few good friends can add more to your life than a long list of so-called friends. The quality of your friendships is more important than the total number.
- Be open to unlikely friendships. Part of the delight of The Golden Girls was how mismatched they seemed on the surface. Open yourself up to people with backgrounds and personalities that are different from your own. People from other walks of life can expose you to new experiences and fresh insights.
- Accept your friends for who they are. Rose’s endless stories about St. Olaf may have elicited some groans, but everyone listened. Relationships require some compromises and accommodations. Accept your friends with all their quirks.
- Eat together. Many of the show’s best moments happened over cheesecake. Sitting down to eat together makes friends and family feel closer to each other. Conversation goes deeper when you’re face-to-face, relaxing over a meal.
- You’re never too old to make new friends. The girls met late in life by answering a grocery store ad to share a house. While old friends are precious, important figures may enter your life at any stage.
- Life may take you in directions that are very different from your initial expectations. One of the most striking things about the show was that all the characters were previously married. You never know who will be sharing your golden years. Women often outlive men, so it’s good to cultivate a broad network of support.
- Treasure friends that tell you the truth. One running joke on the show was the outspokenness of the character of Sophia. It’s easier to make progress in life if you surround yourself with people who are truthful with you. Appreciate people who care enough to be honest with you. Strive to be both candid and tactful in your relationships.
- Keep having fun. There is no age limit on sharing fun with friends. Even the most serious subjects on The Golden Girls were treated with constructive humor. The girls did lots of things just for fun and made even the most unlikely things seem funny.
Golden Girls Lyrics
Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down the road and back again
Well, your heart is true, you’re a pal and a confidante.
♫ And if you threw a party, invited everyone you knew,
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
…And the card attached would say “Thank you for being a friend” ♫