5 Public Relations Musts During Economic Tough Times
If you put a strategy in place, you can not only weather, but hopefully grow during uncertain times. A bad strategy is to do nothing, an even worse strategy is to slow down and cut your marketing and PR efforts. This is a time that savvy business people take action. Spend the time that others are using to worry and complain to take the lead and become proactive. The following are 5 PR must dos.
1) React quickly. You know when times are tough. When people are arguing on the media whether we’re in a recession or not, I’d say chances are we’re probably there. And if not, at least marketing-wise act as though we are. Football has its two minute drill. Put in place marketing and PR drill for these times. Take action.
2) Develop stories that are appropriate for the times. How can your product or service be positioned so that you can create a PR pitch that fits the tone of the times? Come up with a cost-saving story, a stress-reducing story, a feel-good story.
3) Write a one-page press release on that story that fits. Make it easy-to-read. Write a catchy (but not overly-cute) headline, add bullet points. Be clear, concise, Give the media the story they’re looking for.
4) Find the emails and snail mail addresses and get your release out to the media. Send it to all of the appropriate media outlets. Don’t only focus on local or regional media outlets. Go national. Make it a trend story idea.
5) Make follow-up calls. Don’t think because you’ve written a compelling release, sent it out to the appropriate media, that your job is done. Call. Be polite. Be professional, but make sure that the media has received your release and that they understand your pitch.
Now start coming up with other follow-up ideas. What else can you offer the media that you can tie in to the current economic situation? Remember these don’t have to be doom and gloom stories. They can be about how to relax, how to save money, or even how people are still being extravagant, even during tough times. Be creative with your stories, but get them out there. While your competition is hiding, make your move.
Copyright © Anthony Mora 2008