>Free SEO Tip of the Day: Syncing Meta Description Tag with the Page Title
Your website meta
description tag is one of the top solutions in proper SEO . This meta tag,
placed in the head section of the website page code, has two main functions; it
helps improve page rank from the keywords in the tag, and it gives a
catch phrase aimed to complement the title. The meta description is often seen
in search results from Google, Yahoo and the other search engines, along
with the title. That is why it is very important to think about how the title
and the meta description should work together, to get the top search engine
rankings you are striving for.
- The meta description should complement your title and website content.
- Use high ranking keywords whenever possible in your meta tags and web page content.
- Write compelling descriptions. The meta description will often be seen in the search engine results (SERP). Make sure your descriptions stand out from the rest of the competitors.
- Yahoo assigns more weight (greater importance) to meta descriptions compared to MSN. Google, however, gives the lowest value to your web page's meta descriptions.
- The index limit for MSN is 200 characters, while Yahoo indexes up to 350 characters. Google has a 156 character limit on meta descriptions