Which to Choose: Blogger or WordPress?
Blogging has become a very popular method for sharing knowledge, discuss viewpoints, personalize your business and increase the opportunity for inbound links and traffic. Given the increasing popularity of blogging today, it has become imperative that you choose the perfect medium for posting your blogs. Blogger and WordPress are two leading blogging platforms that have gained in popularity over the years.
Blogger can be described as a popular free hosted blogging platform while WordPress is a popular self hosted blogging platform. However, recent times have seen a switch to more WordPress blogs than Blogger. In order to understand the reasons for this shift and whether it makes sense to switch or not to WordPress, it is important to understand the innate differences between the two and the advantages of one over the other.
- WordPress allows you to freely host your blog site onto your hosted website or anywhere else for that matter, which is not possible with a Blogger blog. WordPress hosted on your own server under your own domain will help much more with SEO than having a Blogger account at a separate Blogger URL which directs traffic to them and doesn’t keep them on your site.
- The amount of control you exercise over your blog site is limited in Blogger as you do not have the option of choosing your content etc but in a WordPress blog, you are given complete control of your blogging content, which makes the latter more compatible for those wanting to market their businesses.
- WordPress blogs provides you with more options for customization than Blogger blogs. While this may be intimidating to a novice, it is not very difficult to learn or master.
- Changing your layouts and templates using WordPress is very simple and can take place even if you are not aware of programming or coding. However, this is not the case with Blogger blogs, where you need to understand coding, if you want to make changes to your template.
- While both WordPress and Blogger offers the user a variety of plug-ins and widgets to use from and create a blog site, it is important to note that WordPress offers more variety and types in comparison to Blogger, whose options are pretty limited in the area. Moreover, the kind of widgets offered by WordPress are more sophisticated than the Blogger ones, like those that allow you to keep track of traffic to your website or even allow you to put up spam filters and the like to ensure good traffic to your website.
- It is interesting to note that with WordPress, you can create static pages and generate SEO friendly links with the click of a single button, which again is not possible with Blogger, although many may argue that Blogger is more recognized by Google, as it is owned by Google.
- Though both blogs are easily picked up by RSS feeds, a WordPress blog can actually help you monitor your tracking statistics, which makes it more attractive in the long run as the same is not possible with Blogger.