9 Ways To Improve Your Social Capital
Today, our value is being assessed by employers, clients, viewers, and users. If you want to be perceived as a TV expert or separate yourself from the pack try increasing your social capital. Here are some ways to do that:
1. Read and respond - look for articles and blogs online that are pertinent to your advertisers, users or viewers. Be where they are and comment consistently
2. Start your own blog with helpful information for your readers. Go to Squidoo to get started. It's free and easy. To increase readership promote it by including it on your email signature. Post your blog on facebook and twitter
3. Participate in discussions on LinkedIn. Join appropriate groups and pay attention
4. Start conversations on LinkedIn.
5. Search twitter for conversations where you can professionally add your knowledge
6. Post helpful information on facebook
7. Network face to face, add social media as a method of staying in touch. Check out their connections and expand your network
8. Ask your customers if you can connect with them on LinkedIn, facebook and twitter. If you do connect be sure to pay attention to their posts.
9. Get involved with local social media organizations. Here in Phoenix I suggest AZIMA (AZ Interactive Marketing Assoc.) and SocialMediaAZ. There are many others.
We used to base our TV capital on number of years in the business, number of stations or markets we worked in, etc. Today it's less about TV knowledge and experience and more about our ability to survive and thrive in our new world.
Social Media is here to stay. Want to grow ratings and revenue? Increase your social capital.