Celebrity Branding: Which “Hollywood” Strategies Can You Apply to Your Business?
Our agency is called the Celebrity Branding Agency, as most of you know. And we didn’t choose that name at random. While you may not realize it, virtually every celebrity in Hollywood has at least one thing in common: they (or their advisors and agents!) are highly skilled at marketing, and branding in particular. Sure, there is luck involved in becoming an A-lister, not to mention talent and genetics. But for every Hollywood celebrity, there are hundreds of people who are every bit as talented… but never achieve success on the same scale. So today, we are going to take a look at the marketing strategies and techniques that celebrities use to build their career… and see if we can apply those same strategies to your business.
1) Figure out what sets you apart.There is no such thing as a “generic” celebrity—they all have a unique skill, trait, or physical ability. Think Justin Bieber’s hair, Lady Gaga’s wardrobe, or Usher’s ability to dance. As a business owner, it’s up to you to identify what makes your business different from everyone else. It could be your years of experience and unique perspective. It could be the customer experience you provide.
2) “Dress for the job you want, not the one you have.”No celebrity waits until they are famous to start dressing and acting the part. Hollywood doesn’t work that way, and neither does the world of business. If you expect to become a market leader, you need to act like one—starting right now!
3) Leverage the media.If there’s one thing that Hollywood celebrities know how to do, it is to leverage the power of the media. Whether it is appearing on late night talk shows to promote themselves or a venture, dominating the tabloids, or giving interviews on the red carpet, A-list celebrities understand the “star power” that the media provides. We help our clients to do the same. How can you leverage the power of the media to promote your business and build your brand?
4) Embrace a cause or a charity.Celebrities routinely endorse or partner with causes and charities—everything from animal rights to cancer research. And while this usually reflects a sincere passion, it’s also an excellent opportunity for celebrities to build goodwill and generate exposure for themselves. How can you partner with a cause in your market in order to build your brand?
5) Never forget that it is your fans who ultimately make you famous.At the end of the day, it’s the fans that make celebrities who they are. Without millions of fans lining up to buy his albums and purchase concert tickets, Justin Bieber would be just another anonymous, albeit very talented, young adult. As a business owner, the same is true of your customers. Never, ever forget that your customers are responsible for your success… and treat them accordingly!
You may not realize it, but business owners can learn a whole lot about marketing and branding by paying attention to Hollywood! How can you apply these lessons to your business?
Have a question for Nick? Ask or leave a comment below!