Strategy vs. Tactics: Which Drives Your Organization?
Here are characteristics of both types of organizations. If the 'Tactics Drive' scenario souns familiar, take a step back, get your Strategy defined and THEN decide on the critical few projects necessary to achieve it.
- numerous projects going on; people complain that there is too much to do.
- aspirations drive the activity, like "we intend to be best in customer service".
- many project teams throughout the organization. Almost everyone is on one.
- projects are measured individually in terms of deliverables.
- activities lack a strong common thread among them.
- divergent actions persist. Projects are in conflict and are often heading in opposite directions.
- projects are often lead by individual Departments and carry with them intrinsic bias as a result.
- people are frustrated with too much activity and lack of synergy.
- people complain that there is no approves course that all of the activities follow.
- leadership is criticized for not providing the overall direction to justify all of the projects going on.
- consultants are brought in to assist and they are forced to subordinate organizational issues to those of the individual projects.
- a handful of projects key to influencing 80% of the results are active.
- a Strategic Game Plan (SGP) drives all the activity. Everyone has direct line of sight to it for guidance.
- a few focused project teams exist.
- projects are measures in terms of SGP expectations.
- the common thread among all activities is contribution to the SGP.
- synergy acts among all activities; they are monitored to ensure they are acting in unison.
- projects are primed at the organization level. Project leaders are appointed corporately based on skills and competencies to deliver expected results.
- people are energized as efforts are focused and are balanced to achieve the most meaningful results.
- people recognize that the SGP is the driving force behind all that goes on.
- leaders are acknowledged as effectively moving the organization forward.
- consultant activity is limited to areas where new expertise is required. They are all managed relative to SGP results.
Avoid the tactics until you are satisfied you have a clear enough SGP to be a beacon of all activity in your organization...
Have a question for Roy? Ask or leave a comment below!