What is Your Company's Mobile Web Strategy?
As iPhones, Droids, and all kinds of other mobile devices
keep gaining in popularity, we've noticed that most businesses have taken one
of two approaches to mobile web design. The first group, watching tens of
millions of smart phones being sold every quarter, is happily marketing away with
mobile websites and cool apps that keep their customers coming back for more.
The other group is sitting back and watching one of the biggest technological
trends of our lifetime pass them by.
Which category does your company fall into?
- If it's the second one, you might be in more trouble than you think. That's because, contrary to what a few people might try to tell you, mobile devices – or mobile web design, for that matter – isn't going away anytime soon. Consider the following statistics:
- · Roughly 50 million people are already using smart phones to access the web in the US alone
- · That constitutes about a quarter of the total Internet market
- · Investment banking giant Morgan Stanley predicts that smart phones will outsell "traditional" computers in 2011, and that within three more years more users will be accessing the web via smart phones than laptops and desktops combined.
- · Currently, less than 15% of all businesses have registered or launched a mobile version of their company's website
Launching a mobile version of your website isn't difficult, time intensive, or particularly tough on your operating budget. In fact, there are very few ways to create such a high-impact online marketing tool with such a small investment. So how many more millions of potential customers will have to start using smart phones before your company will start catching up?