The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters

I’m pleased to announce our latest famous entrepreneur profile of Jack Dorsey Biz Stone and Evan Williams, the founders of Twitter.

You can read the complete story here: http://www.evancarmichael.com/Famous-Entrepreneurs/5527/summary.php
“We wanted to capture that feeling: the physical sensation that you’re buzzing your friend’s pocket. It’s like buzzing all over the world,” recalls Dorsey of the name-choosing process. “We came across the word ‘Twitter’ and it was just perfect. The definition was ‘a short burst of inconsequential information,’ and ‘chirps from birds.’ And that’s exactly what the product was.” So just how did this inconsequential information come to make such a consequential difference on the world – both online and off?

Constraint: “Design is a career where you learn creative decision making,” Stone once said. “It’s a renewable resource. You never run out of it. It’s never like, ‘That’s it, there is no more.'” As much as the co-founders could have added new features and designed Twitter to death, their success came from exercising constraint and keeping the service as simple as possible.

Fun: They did not have a business plan, or even a revenue model. They even admitted that there is no market. But they did think that their idea was pretty cool. And, with that, they set off to turn their dream into a reality. It might not have been the most useful tool in the world, but then again, neither is ice cream, and people seem to enjoy a lot of that.

Collaboration: Twitter launched in one of the world’s most highly competitive industries, which might make one think it would be highly competitive in return, and guarded of its activities. But the three co-founders took a different approach. They wanted to work with and learn from their competitors to make the industry a healthier place for all, and thus promoted the open exchange of information.

Culture: Twitter employees get free catered breakfasts and lunches when they get to work. Does it get any better than that? At Twitter, in fact, it does. From Thursday concerts to Friday tea-times, employees have a myriad of opportunities to enjoy themselves and communicate with each other at work. That is the kind of open culture the co-founders wanted to instill in their company.

Commitment: If Twitter was a comedian, it would have been laughed off the stage before it even got started. But the three co-founders remained determined to finish their act. They turned their cheek to the criticism, and refused to be bought out. Until they prove what they want to prove, they are not backing down.

The future for Twitter is uncertain, and Williams has called the option to go public “a possibility.”

“Our goal is to change the world, and we’re going to build the best company we can to realize that goal, reach Twitter’s potential.”

“Our goal is to change the world, and we’re going to build the best company we can to realize that goal, reach Twitter’s potential,” he says. “At some point going public may make the most sense. We’re nowhere near thinking of that. At one time I might have said ‘that’s ridiculous’, but I don’t say that any more. We can be more creative than IPO or being acquired.”

Again, the bottom line for the three Twitter co-founders comes down to creativity. Until their creative juices run out, there is little chance of any of them slowing down.

Again, you can read the complete story here: http://www.evancarmichael.com/Famous-Entrepreneurs/5527/summary.php

What do you think of the Twitter story? Are there any other famous entrepreneurs you would like to see profiled?

I’ve love to hear your thoughts if you leave a comment below!

42 Responses to “The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters”

1. RT @tweetmeme The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters I’m pleased to announce our latest famou.. http://snipr.com/v5o2j

2. RT @tweetmeme The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters I’m pleased to announce our latest famou.. http://snipr.com/v5o2j

3. RT @tweetmeme The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters I’m pleased to announce our latest famou.. http://snipr.com/v5o2j

4. RT @tweetmeme The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters I’m pleased to announce our latest famou.. http://snipr.com/v5o2j

5. RT @tweetmeme The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters I’m pleased to announce our latest famou.. http://snipr.com/v5o2j

6. SEO Articles says:

7. RT @tweetmeme The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters I’m pleased to announce our latest famou.. http://snipr.com/v5o2j

8. RT @tweetmeme The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters I’m pleased to announce our latest famou.. http://snipr.com/v5o2j

9. Very cool. I didn’t know the Twitter story at all so that was fun to read.

10. The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters http://bit.ly/93jzOC

11. TommyBoy says:

I hope they don’t do what Friendster did? That guy refused to sell and last I heard he’s living in his parent’s basement.

12. TheBizGuy says:

Very cool story – thanks for sharing Evan! It’s inspiring to see how it just came from a 2 week trial and now they are big-time entrepreneurs!

13. Ram says:

Twitter has become best source to bind whole web world into one string.This is really great idea that founders planned initially.

14. rahul says:

I am a regular user of Twitter but i didn’t know about the story of the founders.Its an inspirational story for young entrepreneurs.But i am worried about future of twitter, as people got bored very easily from such kind of sites.

15. kvsrraju says:

Very Cool idea,perfect explanation to twitter because it became a best source for social networking net world.Evan did a great job in explanation and inspiring to young entreprenurs
    like me.:-)

16. beatrice says:

very well written article, interesting, and captivating.

17. Leize says:

This is a very informative and educative article. The information found in this article can be very helpful to those looking for it, its very resourceful and keep it up

18. alensot says:

Thanks for haring this cool and very interesting facts and it is very useful informations for many of twitter users

19. Sangeeta says:

This story is simply great. Till date I have written a couple of articles on Twitter, and now knowing about this foundation history of twitter is going to be exceptionally beneficial. Nothing can be predicted as such. Could anyone believe Twitter would be such a big success! There are so many other networking sites but trust me guys, Twitter is an exception! Its a complete information networking site. This blog is really informational and Evan, you have simply done a great job by reaching out everybody with this article!

20. John says:

Very good. This is the first time I’ve heard the Twitter story.

21. Vince says:

It is very interesting story about twitter and was nice to read.

22. vineeth says:

It is a very interesting twitter fun story and nice to read.

23. kalaiarasan says:

Though I am a member of Twitter I know the benefits of it,and this blog post is really a good attractive and knowledgeable thought to everyone.Here you explained several categories of usage Twitter not only for entertainment but also constraints,commitments,culture etc.Awesome thoughts.

24. Annadurai says:

It is a very interesting site which communicates beneficial information to its readers.

25. Sabeena Ibrahim says:

This story is really great. It is very interesting to read. I’m member of twitter but i didn’t know the story. But it is really cool – This is very nice and helpful article.

26. Chelsy says:

Great and very interesting story about using twitter. I’m one of the users of this site but I didn’t have a sense of how the company got started. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

27. B P Rajesh says:

Though a member of twitter i didn’t know the story. It is very nice and helpful article.This blog post is really attractive and knowledgeable thought to everyone.It is has explained several categories of usage of Twitter which is not only for entertainment but also constraints,commitments,culture .

28. Bill W. says:

I like this story. Thanks for sharing!

29. lijajohn says:

It’s a great story that gives lots of information about Twitter. I am also a member of twitter and really enjoy using it. Thanks Evan!

30. lijajohn says:

31. David Hurley says:

I just noticed this, Evan. Thanks for posting it. I will check it out. Great idea to feature people whose product is such a prominent topic (and tool of) conversation.

32. MichelleJ says:

Great story. Love reading the success stories of others as it is a great way to find inspiration in your own endeavors and this particular story is really vibey (made up word) :lol:

MichelleJ

33. Alan Mater says:

Thanks for sharing this story of inspiration with us, Evan.

I didn’t have a clue how Twitter started or even who the creators were. It’s definitely a great motivator to get creative with our own businesses.

34. Thanks everyone – I’m glad you enjoyed it! More great stories to come in the near future!

35. kevin says:

Good information about twitter.very helpful and liked it.

36. brokemet says:

Didn’t expect about the Twitter Story as well and glad Evan’s found it! :)

Actually, what I’m wondering then is why “Twitter” and why tweeting and then I realized it’s like non-stop talking just like what birds are doing. Twitter has created a non-stop tweeting community and I’m glad to see this network so big now. It has gathered lots of big people as well that allows us to directly speak to them (just like we’re friends in an instant and then follow their trends).

That’s the best feeling I ever had with Twitter! :)

37. GT Bulmer says:

Thanks for posting the Twitter story, Evan. I’ve heard bits of it before. Fascinating! And it’s interesting to see how it continues to develop.

GT :)

38. Guy says:

When I first heard all the hype about Twitter, I thought it was a huge waste of time. Most of the posts that I saw were blatant promotional pitches.

39. Max says:

While there is life there is hope.

40. Kurt says:

Great and brilliant!!! I will share this to all who wish to become successful in their business.

41. Lokesh says:

Dont Miss this one…RT @TopsyRT: The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters http://bit.ly/fIUjdY

42. MTP STUDIO says:

RT @EvanCarmichael: The Twitter Story – Modeling The Masters http://t.co/QP7KL94