SES Toronto – Day 1 – Evan – #SESTO

John-Alexander

With EvanCarmichael.com author John Alexander before he began his session at SES Toronto.

Today was Day 1 of SES Toronto and it was a lot of fun being surrounded by people who are all talking about their rankings and what they’re doing to drive traffic to their websites.

Check out all the photos from Day 1 here.

I wanted to highlight some of the takeaways from three of the sessions I went to today.

Content marketing optimization with Lee Odden

Lee Odden (@leeodden) is the CEO of TopRank Online Marketing, a digital marketing and public relations firm specializing in strategic Internet marketing consulting, training, and implementation services, including online PR, SEM, and social media marketing. A veteran Internet marketer, Odden has consulted for clients such as HP, McKesson, Northwest Airlines, PRWeb, and the national PRSA.

Lee-Odden

• The big lie about content strategy is:  Build it and they will come.
  • Search is becoming social. You need to have a presence in all the major social media sites to have greater influence with your audience.
  • If something can be searched on then it can be optimized.
  • Make it easy for customers to discover consume and share your content, products and services.
  • Create content that educates and makes it easy to follow a logical conclusion to buy.
  • Blend content creation with curation. You don’t have to create everything from scratch as long as there is value to your audience.
  • Build customer profiles. Who are they? What are they looking for? What type of content should you create and share to attract them?
  • Pay attention to what people are saying about you on Social Mention.
  • Create an editorial calendar for what content you’re going to create and how you’re going to share it.
  • Always include an image or video. Your message will travel further.
  • Search in your Analytics for a “?” to get a sense of the questions people are using to find your site.
  • For content curation, don’t just copy and paste or Google will drop the page via their Panda update.
  • Try to add your own commentary on the content to avoid duplicate content penalties.
  • Also do what you can to get links to your curated content.

Information architecture for the modern website with Shari Thurow

Shari Thurow is the founder and search engine optimization (SEO) director at Omni Marketing Interactive, a full-service SEO, Web site usability, information architecture (IA), and Web design firm.

Shari-Thurow

• Why should website owners care about information architecture? You lose customers when they can’t find your content.
  • Information architecture also impacts your crawability and indexation. If Google has a hard time finding your content it won’t get ranked.
  • Websites which are great examples for information architecture: Mayo Clinic, MedicineNet and National Cancer Institute.
  • Every website needs a taxonomy, a hierarchical structure to organize your content.
  • Rethink your top navigation. Ask yourself does it serve our readers as best it can?
  • Use embedded text links from content to other content on the same site. It serves as a label to tell search engines what the content is about.
  • A blog to look at as a best practice in information architecture is Matt Cutts.
  • Create author pages to show all the posts by an author.
  • Navigation labels need to be scannable, unique, and clear to readers.
  • Stick between 4 and 10 links in your primary navigation.
  • For user generated content look at at viewpoints as best practice example. Lead by example, show them what a good article looks like.
  • Reward good behavior, you’ll get better results.
  • Link to content vertical and horizontal. From parent to child and sibling to sibling.

Managing your online reputation with Ezra Silverton

Ezra Silverton became involved with the World Wide Web in the early 1990′s. He obtained his diploma in Marketing and eBusiness and a degree in Business Commerce, with a major in Marketing and a minor in Law from Ryerson University. Ezra later founded 9th sphere, a web design and SEO company in Toronto, Canada, that’s dedicated to building websites using crucial marketing tactics. He’s also an author on EvanCarmichael.com!

Ezra-Silverton

What to do when you’ve been smeared in public:

• Request removal
  • Review clients own web properties
  • Optimize existing web properties
  • Setup new profiles
  • Link building

5 things to enhance your online reputation:

• Claim your name – Domain name and social networks.
  • Brag. Write content about what you’re doing and share it.
  • Request feedback. Reviews, testimonials. People are less likely to leave positive feedback so you have to ask.
  • Belong to your community. Become a member and get involved.
  • Monitor. Use Google Alerts, Social Mention both are free.

I’m looking forward to Day 2! I’ll post again after tomorrow’s sessions.

50 Responses to “SES Toronto – Day 1 – Evan – #SESTO”

1. SES Toronto – Day 1 – Evan – #SESTO http://t.co/RtqjZbw

SES Toronto – Day 1 – Evan – #SESTO http://t.co/bP787lg

10. SES Toronto – Day 1 – Evan – #SESTO http://t.co/0MCRK7i

11. SES Toronto – Day 1 – Evan – #SESTO http://t.co/PNqqfNc

12. SES Toronto – Day 1 – Evan – #SESTO http://t.co/286Xu0z

13. SES Toronto – Day 1 – Evan – #SESTO http://t.co/5BdHD1M

14. katie says:

Hi Evan! Thanks for sharing with us the highlights of the session. I guess it’s really good to be present in such conference because you’ll learn a lot! Looks like content marketing optimization is really essential.

15. Byron Gordon says:

SES Toronto – Day 1 – great coverage! – #SESTO http://t.co/eAe7NU6

16. RT @EvanCarmichael: SES Toronto – Day 1 – Evan – #SESTO http://t.co/WN2BNRb

17. lisa says:

The notes about Information architecture are interesting. This is the first time I heard about it and looks like it’s really relevant for websites.

18. Karen says:

I believe online reputation is really good for business. Most of the time people rely to the internet when they want something and it’s good if you have good reputation and your customers trust you. I guess that was a good topic in the conference. I wish I was there to hear it. Thanks for sharing this!

19. allen says:

The tips on content marketing are very useful. Most people don’t realize how important content creation is. It has to be informative and beneficial. That’s a really great topic for the conference.

20. Carmen says:

I think online marketing’s a big thing right now. SES have shown that. In fact, I guess SES would be having these talks for a long time since most people would be into online marketing further in the future.

21. Cathy says:

I’ve been into social marketing seminars and I could say SES delivers one of the best online marketing seminars. I am a huge fan of online marketing since I am working on SEO companies. There are lots of insights to learn from and it evolves every day.

22. Sean says:

SES Toronto was one of the best and most successful online marketing seminars to date. They have poured out all their efforts and shared all possible knowledge they have to online marketers. I’m looking forward to more seminars.

23. Rose says:

This is really a cool seminar. I’ve been to a lot of seminars and this one is really amazing. I have learned a lot and I have gathered more insights on this seminar.

24. Julie says:

I wanted to come on this seminar. Unfortunately, I had some other things to attend to. But I heard it was great and I heard that they shared a lot of online marketing tips this year. I would love to hear more from the seminar. So those who were able to come, go on and share!

25. Winnie says:

I wouldn’t be surprised to know a lot of people came. Online marketing is one hot stuff in major industries right now. Probably one company has more than just one OM strategy at hand. There would be more in the future and more would also delve into this kind of marketing.

26. Kevin says:

I happened to be there during the seminar. And I love how each speaker elaborated on their topics. It was my first time to be in this kind of seminars and I am learning a lot.

27. Jamaica says:

The topics during the seminar were great. I loved how they discussed each OM strategy in full detail. It would be a huge loss to a company who hasn’t sent a representative there. It was really something worth learning.

28. Melissa says:

I think the discussion on online reputation was very intellectual. I learned a lot from it and I hope the other did too. Sometimes people just go on with their marketing online without thinking of reputation. They don’t know that sometimes they look too spammy already and all.

29. Jeremy says:

I would guess this would be one of the highlights of the year. The SES Toronto conference was something worth taking note of. A lot of people would really benefit from everything they have discussed. More companies would see the huge advantage of online marketing.

30. PJ says:

I would like to give 4 thumbs up (including the toes) for this seminar. Insightful, intellectual, full of learnings. Online marketing has widened its scope for the past years and I know it will expand all the more for the coming years.

31. Arnie says:

You have a very informative site. I truly agree that the content should be organized so customer can see the content that they are looking for. Because if they don’t they will not come back at all.

32. Dory says:

I have a website of my own and I made sure that everything important is on the front page. I am happy that I am getting a lot of good feedbacks. People keep coming back to my site.

33. Jar says:

I will take note of everything here. I am a beginner and would like to put up my own site. Thanks for the insights.

34. Natalie says:

We need to make sure that our website is very reliable. People will remember if we will give importance to them thru the site. Thumbs up for this article!

35. Bruce says:

How can we go to this conference? Do we need to subscribe or be in a group? Your reply will be much appreciated.

36. Jenie says:

Social media sites have the greatest influence now. All walks of life have their own profile. I am a witness to this when my brother decided to have a facebook fan page for his business. His site went from okay to A okay!

37. Laveia says:

I like this site. It’s very informative and easy to understand. Good job!

38. Tara says:

Some people don’t want to read a lot. They either want to see pictures or videos about it. More easy for them to multitask.

39. Curt says:

I learned a lot from this article. How can I go to this conference? Do I need to have my own website first?

40. Milly says:

This article is very easy to follow. We always need to be precise with the content. It should always benefit both us and the consumer.

41. Ellen says:

People now uses internet to find a job, needs to sell an item or buy their essentials. So we need to be competitive and think like a consumer too.

42. Rachel says:

Hi Evan! Thanks for giving us the highlights of the conference! It feels like we also attended the expo just by reading the helpful information you posted here. The techniques in Information architecture are very useful!

43. Carrie says:

Content marketing optimization is one factor that we always have to consider. We just don’t create contents for the sake of having something for our site. The contents have to be useful, informative, and easy to follow.

44. Nancy says:

It’s my first time to read about information architecture. I find it really beneficial for your website. I hope there would be conference like this here in my country. Online marketing seems like a great factor for businesses these days.

45. Phil says:

That’s a very informative post. I’m happy to see someone really posting updates regarding the conference. Thanks for this!

46. Hanna says:

I really feel happy to read these tips and techniques coming from experts on online marketing. This would be very helpful. The fact that online marketing is an essential tool for business nowadays. Thanks for sharing this!

47. Joseph says:

I’m guessing that was a whole day of learning about online marketing. If only there’s such conference here, I’d definitely attend. Thanks for sharing the highlights though. Really helpful!

48. Caleb says:

I like the topic about Managing your online reputation. Sometimes people forget how important it is especially if you have an online business. Great tips!

49. Carly says:

I like these topics especially the one about online reputation. The tips are great. Would love to apply them for my websites. Thanks a lot for the updates!

50. Dario says:

“wow, awesome blog post.Really thank you! Fantastic.”