By Evan Carmichael on February 24th, 2013
Katrina Sawa is a Gold Author on EvanCarmichael.com – to view her articles click here. We asked her how she made her first sale – here’s what she said:
What’s your #1 tip for entrepreneurs?
While there are so many tips I want to share, the big one that comes to mind that affects most small business owners I see from reaching their full potential is to stop trying to do everything yourself.
Stop trying to figure everything out.
Stop trying to learn how to do everything in your business yourself such as:
- designing a website
- writing a press release
- designing your logo and marketing materials
- writing your own contracts
- doing your own bookkeeping
- and so much more
It’s crazy how many hats we have to wear as business owners but you’ll get no where fast if you try to literally wear them all yourself.
You also won’t see the amount of revenue you dream about seeing if you do this either. It’s just not physically possible to do EVERYTHING that has to be done to start, grow, run and market a successful, smooth-running, moneymaking business.
Instead, surround yourself with people who can support you in areas that are not your expertise. Hire professionals to make you look good. Rely on individuals who are smarter and faster at doing things you aren’t so good or efficient at doing.
The sooner you stop being a control freak in your business or being scared that you can’t afford such help, the sooner you’ll see bigger monetary results.
Here are a few tips to get you started on who to hire or what to outsource:
- The first thing a business owner usually needs is at least a business card and a website. Other marketing materials can typically wait. You can generate leads offline and online when you have both of these things professionally designed.
- The second thing a business owner typically needs is a second set of hands. That could mean a set of hands to help you with home help if you work from home; maybe a nanny, housekeeper or landscaper to start? If you’re fine at home so far then usually its someone to help you manage your paperwork, administrative work, organizing your office or implementing marketing strategies from your marketing plan. All of these could be crucial to your success but if you need to make money now, I recommend getting the marketing plan and person to implement it in place first.
- Thirdly, a business owner may need legal matters in place or financial documents in order and these are areas you definitely don’t want to mess up with mistakes that you could make.
For a list of recommended resources, contractors or services to assist you, the small business owner, visit http://www.jumpstartyourmarketing.com/resources.
Katrina Sawa is known as The JumpStart Your Biz Coach because she literally kicks her clients and their businesses into high gear. She works with highly motivated women entrepreneurs that want to maximize their business to make more money, enjoy more free time and fully embrace your happiest life ever. Katrina uses online and offline strategies to leverage your resources, contacts and your expertise; plus she kicks you in the butt to implement it all too! Katrina is an author, speaker and coach and she has been featured on the Oprah and Friends XMRadioNetwork and is a regular Business Expert on News 10 in Sacramento. Get her Free Entrepreneur’s Success Kit online at www.JumpStartYourMarketing.com!
Tags: bookkeeping, business card, business owner, contracts, control freak, designing a website, hats, home help, marketing materials, moneymaking business, nanny housekeeper, sawa, small business owners, writing a press release