1. Fuzzy Vision: people don't know where the organization is going and what it is trying to achieve in the future.
3. Discouraging Culture: no shared values; lack of trust: blame culture; focus on problems, not opportunities; people don't have fun at work; diversity not celebrated; failures not tolerated; people lose confidence in their leaders and systems.
4. High Bureaucracy: bureaucratic organizational structures with too many layers; high boundaries between management layers; slow decision making;: too close monitoring of things and subordinates; too many tools and documents discouraging creative thinking; bureaucracy is tolerated.
5. Lack of Initiative: poor motivation encouragement; people do not feel their contributions make a difference; management fails to engage the organization effectively; people work defensively and not creatively, they do their job, and nothing more.
6. Poor Vertical Communication: people have no clue of the big picture and do not feel that their contributions are important; too much uncertainty; people don't know what top-managers are thinking and planning.
7. Poor Cross-functional Collaboration: functional mindset; lack of cross-functional goals and cross-functional collaboration spirit; functional, no enterprise-wide business process management; no cross-functional management committees; lack of or powerless cross-functional teams.
8. Poor Teamwork: no organizational commitment to team culture; lack of shared and worthwhile goals; weak team leaders; team members who don't want to play as part of a team are tolerated; teams are too large; lack of shared rewards.
9. Poor Idea and Knowledge Management: cross-pollination of ideas is not facilitated; no creativity, idea and knowledge management strategies and systems; "know-it-all" attitude; "not invented here" syndrome.