How do i find a qualified counsellor, and or psychotherapist, in my area?

I often get asked to explain and describe the differences between a counsellor and a psychotherapist? The British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapists (BACP) state that on completion of training students can either be known as counsellors and or psychotherapist. The BACP states “Counselling and psychotherapy are umbrella terms that cover a range of talking therapies. They are delivered by trained practitioners who work with people over a short or long term to help them bring about effective change or enhance their wellbeing” Most people in my view are probably more familiar with the term counsellor. I use both.

Please be aware that the term counsellor can be and is used loosely and mistakenly by some people in professions who have had some basic training in using counselling listening skills. A counsellor and or a psychotherapist is a fully qualified professional who abides by and adheres to the code of practice, ethics and principles of their professional counselling governing body, in my case the BACP.

The BACP have a code of ethics which all of our counsellors at Finding You adhere to and abide by. This includes a strict confidentiality policy which Finding You have in place which I and all the other counsellors that work for Finding You at Stanstead Abbotts in East Herts abide by and adhere to. All of our counsellors also abide by and adhere to the stringent supervision policies set out by the BACP to ensure that all of our counsellors work in their clients best interest at all times.

Please be aware! Unfortunately, there is no law/legislation in place to stop those who are unqualified calling themselves counsellors and setting up private counselling practices. It is therefore very important that you ensure that the counsellor that you choose is qualified to work with you.

How do I find a qualified counsellor and or psychotherapist in my area? If you have access to the internet, I propose that an internet search on one of the search engines would be a very good place to start to look for a qualified counsellor and or psychotherapist in your area.

If you live in or near Stanstead Abbotts East Herts please feel free to contact us at Finding You for a free initial 30 minute consultation.

When looking for a counsellor you will have to consider how far you are prepared to travel and how you propose to get there.

Finding You is located in Stanstead Abbotts in East Herts because it has good public transport links for those who choose to travel to us by bus and or train. And there is a Free Car Park, at the Maltings in Stanstead Abbotts where we are located for those who come by car. (see the contact page on our web site for a map and directions on how to find us) As said above a qualified counsellor will have a professional counselling governing body which they will belong to, all professional counselling bodies have a website. Members should be listed/known by the organizations that they are affiliated to.

Another good way to look for a qualified counsellor and or psychotherapist in your area is to go on to the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists website (BACP)The BACP will only allow professionally qualified counsellors and or psychotherapists to be registered on this site. Hit find therapist, type in your town and or post code and type in how far you are prepared to travel and you will be provided with a list of professionally qualified therapists in your area, secure in the knowledge that each and every one are members of the BACP and are qualified to work with you.


I am a member of the British Association Of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by the BACP's ethical framework for good practice. I have many years experience working with charities supporting people living with the more debilitating mental health issues such as schizophrenia and bipolar. I also have nearly ten years experience in supporting/providing emotional support to parents/carers of children who have special needs. And for a number of years worked as a counsellor for a local...

Go Deeper | Website

Have a question for Karen?

* Required information
Email Address:
(never displayed)

Your question or comment:
Human? Enter the third letter of the word castle.
Enter answer:
Tell me when Karen responds to me.
Remember my form inputs on this computer.
New Graphic
Subscriber Counter