We’ve recently noticed more and more articles, blogs and
promotions touting all the new ways to market your website. “Buy into our secret system
and you will be guaranteed top Google results!”
We’re sorry to say, it just ain’t so.
However, you can get consistently good results if you follow these ten simple guidelines. They will work for all small- to mid-sized businesses who want an effective, marketing-oriented website.
1. Your site must be well designed and easily navigated. Splash pages, animations and other eye-candy are counter-productive for most businesses (unless your business is related to those effects, e.g. an entertainment company).
2. You must have sufficient quantity of content in your site that is of good quality and written with your prospects in mind, plus have plenty of keyword-rich headlines.
3. You must have many high quality links, pointing back to your site,from sites that are relevant to yours. Irrelevant sites don’t help and some can actually lower your rating.
4. You should add to or change your content often. This keeps visitors and search engines coming back. (How often is enough varies from site to site.)
6. Youmust not use sneaky SEO gimmicks or tricks to try to fool the search engines. You will eventually be caught and penalized.
7. Once your site is set up, you must continuously work on marketing your site yourself. No other person cares as much as you do.
8. You must work, at least, two hours a week on your web marketing.
9. Your site must have its own personality. It is your representative to the world.
10. Use your common sense when marketing your web site. If someone is offering you a product, service or deal that seems too good to be true, it is!
If you follow these ten simple, but powerful guidelines, you’ll have a successful and popular web site, far outperforming all your competition.