The Tip of the Iceberg - Your Conscious Mind

Icebergs are intriguing and deceptive. Due to the density of the freshwater formationless than10% of the ice is above water. Because of their massive size, however,it's the part under the surface that is of real concern to navigators. Just ask anyone who sailed on the Titanic. Our mind is remarkably similar. Our conscious thoughts, those we are aware of, comprisesome 10% of our cognitive processing. The other 90% of our "thinking" arise from our subconscious thoughts - beliefs, assumptions and perceptions that we don't realize we are processing "below the surface". These include feelings and emotions that we aren't tuned into because we are too busy, too distracted or too sedated.

What does this mean? With our conscious mind, our awarenssabove the surface, we may set a course of intention. However, just as 90% of an iceberg is below the water, it is the 90% of our thoughts below the surface- hiddenbeliefs,limiting assumptions and unprocessedemotions that we are not "conscious" of that are really driving our behaviours. As we know, an iceberg moves with the currents, not the wind.

While I might intend to hang up my coat when I come in the door rather than throwing it on the chair in the front hall I find myself not doing just that. Why not? Perhaps I have a flashback of my mother nagging me about my coat. Rather than feeling the satisfaction of hanging up my coat, I avoid how I felt about being told what to do and rebel by throwing my coat on the chair (even years later).

How do you know what's going on below the surface? Look at what the evidence is in your life. One reader has great intentions to clip articles to send to friends and colleagues, however, the clippings pile up on her desk and don't get distributed. What might be going on here? She may like the idea of forwarding articles; however, part of her does not see the value in it or that she does not fully understand her real motives. Another block can be that a workable system is not in place.

We see further evidence of unconscious blocks in other areas of our lives too. Look at sales teams for example. One individual is often capable of much greater sales volume inthe sameterritory than another was able to achieve. The samepotential is there, buteach sales person unconsciouslybelieves that he or she is capable of just so much success.

If we track our intentions, resistance and emotions, just as scientists track icebergs, we begin to see patterns of behaviour that do or don't support our objectives. The answers are there, however, you do need to stick your head below the surface. It's not that easy to do yourself, perhaps a friend or colleague could shed some light.

To Your Success!

Want More?

New Graphic
Subscriber Counter